HOME | Mayweather vs. Marquez latest updates | Mayweather vs. Marquez online streaming | Mayweather vs. Marquez PPV | Mayweather vs. Marquez watch live

Floyd Mayweather talks the talk ahead of Juan Manuel Marquez fight in Las Vegas

Floyd Mayweather has been away from the ring for 20 months but he still talks the talk, as if he were boxing’s pound for pound No 1.

He may well prove to be just that, but will have to see off the challenge of Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez in Las Vegas on Sept 19.

To most boxing insiders this is a battle between the No 2 (Mayweather) and the No 3 (Marquez) in the world. Since stepping aside, Manny Pacquiao, the Filipino fighter inked in to meet Miguel Cotto on Nov 14 in the Nevada desert city, has usurped the No 1 position.

Mayweather, a five-weight world champion, now 32, returns after retiring in Dec 2007, after his demolition of the previously untarnished Ricky Hatton.

Mayweather remains full of gusto. "I feel fast, strong and my timing is there. I feel the same way as before I left. Actually I feel a little better. I think the break helped because I haven't had a break since 1987."

Mayweather remains undefeated in 39 fights, with 25 knockouts, and meets the admirable Marquez for The Ring welterweight title (147lbs) at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Mayweather insists immodestly that because of his own exacting standards, nothing but a high level performance satisfies his fans, or his critics.

"When you go out there with an undefeated record, there is no pressure on these fighters because they have nothing to lose.

"If Marquez gets beat in 12 rounds or he gets knocked out, they are still going to love him in his country because he had the chance to face the best. They will say: 'You lost but you lost to the best'.

"But in the US it doesn't work like that so we have to work that much harder to stay on top. If I win, it's normal. If a guy gives me a tough fight or even comes close to winning, that's abnormal. Everybody expects me to dominate.

"It's extremely important for me to go out there to perform well and dominate.

"I've got to go out there and be smart, be intelligent and listen to my uncle Roger (Mayweather, his trainer). If I do that, we will come out 'A' OK."

Marquez steps up to welterweight for the first time, having won world titles at three weights up to lightweight.

In spite of having 50 wins from 55 professional contests, including 37 knockouts, he will be seen as the underdog.

"He is Mexico's numero uno," said Mayweather. "He's one hell of a fighter with over 50 wins and champion in more than just one weight class. Believe me, Marquez is not going to lay down. There's going to be blood, sweat and tears on Sept 19."

No comments:

Post a Comment